We are focusing on Heart Health this month and want to remind you to have your animals tested for heartworm. This nasty, invasive parasite is introduced usually through a mosquito bite. The treatment is not pleasant for owner or pet. We recommend regular testing and medication to prevent heartworm in the first place.
Tibial Tuberosity Advancement (TTA)
TTA is an orthopedic procedure to repair deficient cranial cruciate ligaments in dogs.
We are so excited to introduce the K-Laser
It has versatile applications and gives you some new opportunities to better treat your pet’s condition.
Applications for laser therapy include:
• Treatment of arthritis, degenerative joint disease, or hip dysplasia
• General pain management (sprains, strains, and stiffness)
• Post-surgery healing (spays, neuters, declaws, and other surgeries)
• Skin problems (hot spots, lick granulomas, infections)
• Dental procedures
• Fractures and wounds (bites, abrasions, and lesions)
• Ear infections
- DENTAL HEALTH MONTH
- HEART HEALTH MONTH
- February 14th – Valentines Day (no chocolate 🍫 for dogs)
- February 20th – “Love your pet day” 🐶
- February 22nd – “Walk Your Dog Day” 🐕
- February 27th – “Spay Day USA” 🐈
REMEMBER – Chocolate is very bad for your canines. Major signs that they made off with the goods include: 1) Hyperactivity – If your doggie is spasing-out more than usual, check around in their favorite hiding corner for the wrappers that were left behind after they devoured your favorite chocolate. This is usually followed with 2) Vomiting – Unfortunately, the pup will get very sick and might even react allergically. Get them seen as soon as possible if that happens. Contact Us
WE WILL BE CLOSED MONDAY DECEMBER 25th
No Chocolate. Dogs can be made extremely ill by chocolate. Signs may include hyperactivity and vomiting.
Watch Out for Tinsel and String Both Cats and dogs get into wrappings and trimmings for the tree. Do your best to keep these out of animal’s reach.
Visit the Zoo Day December 27
Holiday Plants can be toxic to pets
The Christmas tree is usually the center piece of most of our homes during the holidays. But, we shouldn’t let their beauty cover up the fact that they are still mildly toxic to our animals. With the many species of trees that we bring into our homes, fir tree oil can irritate our pets mouths and stomachs. Symptoms of consumption include excessive drooling or vomiting. Make sure to also clean up tree needles since they’re not the easiest to digest for anyone. Too many needles can cause GI irritation, vomiting, gastrointestinal obstruction or punctures. Be aware your animal won’t be drastically affected if they eat a few fallen pieces from the tree but make sure it’s not a regular snack that may eventually cause serious consequences.
Lilies and Daffodils
Aside from the holiday treats and baked goods that you’ll be gifted, be aware that any bouquets or plant kits that include lilies and daffodils are very harmful to cats and dogs. Plants that are in the lily, Narcissus, and daffodil families are very toxic to our pets. Symptoms include gastrointestinal signs, cardiac arrhythmia, kidney failure, convulsions and even death.
There have been talks that these red beauties are extremely toxic, however this assumption has been dubbed an urban legend dating back to 1919. The sap of Poinsettias are known to be mildly toxic and irritating, causing nausea or vomiting when consumed but it does not cause death. So it would still be a good idea to keep your curious four-legged friends away from these holiday bloomers to save them from getting a belly ache.
Mistletoe and Holly
Hanging the mistletoe and holly in your doorway and hard to reach places may not be a bad idea. Even though we adorn both of these holiday trimmings in any spot we need more holiday cheer, both are very toxic for our pets. If you find your fuzzy fellow making these a mid-day snack call your vet or poison control as soon as possible for advice.
Congratulations Chris!! We are so proud of you for passing the NM State Board Exam! Chris is now a Registered Vet Technician!!
Welcome to TLC Pet Hospital. Keep your pets safe this Halloween. Keep them away from candy and wrappers. Make sure you have a doggie treat just for them.
- Pet Allergies to food include onions, avocados, grapes and raisins.
- No Chocolate. Dogs can be made extremely ill by chocolate. Signs may include hyperactivity and vomiting.
- Pit bull Awareness Day October 28th, 2017.
- National Cat Day October 29th, 2017.
KEEP THE TREATS AWAY FROM DOGGIES
Treats, Wrappers and Especially CHOCOLATE need to stay out of dog’s reach to help avoid tummy trouble or an emergency visit to the Vet!
A Quiet Place
If your dog gets anxious around a lot of activity, find a safe quiet place for your pet to be. Soft music and low light can help calm your pet. Make sure they have their toys and blanket.
A Safe Distance
To keep dogs and cats out of trouble, keep them away from the front door either by getting them out of the way or even using a baby/doggie gate to keep them away from trick or treaters. It’s also a good idea to keep cats inside during Halloween, lest they be caught up in mischief.
Just Like Vampires Garlic is not good for dogs. Remember anything with chocolate is a no no for dogs. This includes chocolate chip cookies and ice cream. Raisins and Grapes. Avocados are all no, not. Onions, garlic, chives. Different dogs react differently to meats as well. Beef and chicken can often be offenders.
Also onions and garlic are in a lot of dishes, make sure you are not feeding them to your pets.
Several of our team members have gone through the Fear Free Certified Professional program for Albuquerque Veterinarians. We have adopted a culture of Fear FREE medicine in the clinic and try to add a little TLC into every interaction we have with your pet.
What is Fear Free?
Utilization of Fear Free methods and protocols leads to better healthcare outcomes, satisfied clients and relaxed patients. It also reduces or removes anxiety triggers, which creates an experience that is rewarding and safer for all involved, including your pet(s), you and your veterinary healthcare team.
Stress can start at home. We encourage you to check out our check-lists to insure that you are doing everything possible to start on the right foot.
Buy Heartworm Medication!
It’s sometimes hard to imagine that “an ounce of prevention”…really is worth it. In this case it is. Heart worms are highly invasive and the treatment, once afflicted, adds up quickly.
For the cost of what adds up to be 7 years worth of medication, the treatment is more than your dog and your wallet want to go through. The reality is that you love your pet and you don’t want to see them go through a case of Heartworm. Call to schedule a Heartworm test. See our offer to receive 1/2 OFF your next test.
Brought to you by the Mosquito (Culicidae)
Worms grow over 7 months and usually come in multitudes. The worms begin with an incubation period inside the mosquito. They carry the larvae and deliver it to the host, your cat or dog! They can grow up to 12 inches and dogs can be infected with as many as 250 of them. It’s nasty business for your dog or cat! This is why we recommend regular testing and most importantly, preventive medication.
Some pet care may seem self-evident, but we still like to remind everybody of the basics when it is summertime and you have other things on your mind.
- Never leave a dog or cat in a hot car. Just like with children, leaving your pet in a hot car can quickly have consequences for the animal.
- If you wouldn’t walk barefoot on the pavement, neither should your dog. Summer temperatures in July can result in second degree burns on your animals feet. (The same is true of trail hiking with your dog. Make sure the trail is not too hot.)
- Make sure you pets have LOTS OF WATER available. Dogs don’t sweat, so make sure they have access to plenty of water.
Change up your routine. Temperatures have been reaching their hottest right at 5:00pm. Take advantage of the cool early morning. Even with the heat, we’ve been cooling down at night. During the hottest parts of the year, try walking your dogs in the morning.
FIREWORKS AND YOUR PETS
Your pet can become very distressed when fireworks and people cause a commotion. If you are entertaining and or celebrating with fireworks this Summer, don’t forget about your furry friends.
- Your pet needs a quiet, safe place to be during the festivities. Make them comfortable with some extra pillows or blankets to help reduce the sound around them. If this is not possible, look into letting your pet stay elsewhere during your activities. Let them stay with a friend or think about boarding your dog for the night.
- Keep you dog out of the line of fire. It will be your dogs first instinct to chase after fast moving objects. It’s best to keep your dog away from ALL FIREWORKS activities.
- WATER – We can’t stress enough, keep your pets hydrated while they are outside in the heat enjoying the day with you.