Chocolate, Coffee, Caffeine: These products all contain substances called methylxanthines, which are found in cacao seeds. Methylxanthines can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death. Darker chocolate and baking chocolate is more dangerous than milk chocolate.

Yeast Dough: Ingested yeast dough can rise and cause gas to accumulate in your pet’s digestive system. This can be painful and can cause the stomach or intestines to rupture.

Raw/Undercooked Meat, Eggs and Bones: Risks include Salmonella, E. coli, skin & coating problems.

Onions, Garlic, Chives: These vegetables and herbs can cause gastrointestinal irritation and could lead to red blood cell damage. Cats are more susceptible, but dogs are also at risk if an amount is consumed.

Xylitol: Xylitol is used as a sweetener in many products, including gum, candy, baked goods and toothpaste. Ingestion can lead to liver failure and early signs include vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination.

Avocado: Avocados contain Persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. Birds and rodents are especially sensitive to avocado poisoning, and can develop congestion, difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation around the heart.

Alcohol: Alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and even death.

Salt: Large amounts of salt can produce excessive thirst and urination, or sodium ion poisoning in pets. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temperature, seizures and even death.

Grapes & Raisins: Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure.

Macadamia Nuts: Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors and hyperthermia in dogs. Signs usually appear within 12 hours of ingestion and last approximately 12 to 48 hours.

Milk: Milk and other milk-based products cause diarrhea or other digestive upset.

People Food You Should Never Feed Your Pets